Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cover art - "The Ragged Man" by Tom Lloyd

I have a section in my personal library that I am afraid to look at, because in that section are many books that I didn’t get the chance to read yet. And it seems that the number of the books in that section is not getting smaller. Among the titles that can be found in the unread section are the three novels in the Tom Lloyd’s series, “Twilight Reign”, which although I wanted to read for some time I ended up not doing it. Well, I don’t know if I will be able to start reading Tom Lloyd’s first novel, “The Stormcaller”, until his fourth novel, “The Ragged Man”, will be released this summer, but I am thinking of a plan to read his series this year. Still, I have to say that I enjoy the cover artwork for the UK edition, published by Gollancz in August, of “The Ragged Man” quite a lot. I really like that the book cover of “The Ragged Man” follows the same line as the first three covers, the change being made rather in colors than in pattern. I might be repeating myself, but I really like that the figure from the cover is not clearly drawn, leaving much to the imagination of the reader, and also that the atmosphere of the cover (of the other three too) is a dark one. Although this second part might be due to my attraction for a darker fiction. Like the first three covers this one is made by the same excellent artist, Larry Rostant.
Not that is something wrong with the cover for the US edition of the novel (that I posted below), published by Pyr and illustrated by another great artist, Todd Lockwood.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

I like the UK cover more. WHY DO I ALWAYS LIKE THE UK COVER MORE!?

Mihai A. said...

Patrick, me too. And in most of the cases I prefer the UK covers more too :)